1.12.2005

good-byes: Luna Lounge and Gus's

My favorite free (or is it just the bands I'm friends with) place to hear bands, the Luna Lounge, is closing to make way for what is most likely a luxury high-rise.

"That's why Luna Lounge is going to go," said Sion Misrahi, president of Misrahi Realty. "The landlord needs to build up for the properties that he bought to have the highest and best use. It makes sense. This is what drives America."
Oh, America. Now this is old news, but Gus's Place, downstairs from our office, was evicted by the new tenants, after 15 years of providing neighborly service. (We're moving to the Audubon Building. What will we be leaving behind? Anyone looking for million dollar floor-throughs with views on 6 sides, keep your eyes out for forthcoming condos in the West Village.) Everytime I had the luxury of being bought lunch at Gus's, I always saw the same lunchtime regulars.

Hey, I'm down with the changes that come afoot with hot neighborhoods. I'm not a conversationist for conservation's sake type. Still, when neighborhood institutions have to go, it's a sad business.

0 comments: