1.11.2005

Will Alsop increased Toronto's tourism?



Could this building really have increased Toronto's tourism by 2.3% (in money? or with tourists? or, with Bush-avoiding Americans?), as this breezy article suggests? I love good looking buildings, and like to think that I'm rather open minded about what constitutes a a well-designed building, but sometimes Will Alsop's designs allude me. Personally, this art school seems to cast a shadow over the neighborhood, an effect which it appears to cover up with brightly painted stilts. Is it just me?

Alsop won the Stirling Prize - a prestigious British architectural award for the Peckham library, which I lived near while I was in London.



Here it is, from Alsop Associates files. Definitely an interesting looking building, with the same stilt-like structures that characterize the Toronto art school building. But the community had a large role in helping the architects come up with their program to make it more than just a place to store books and more of a community learning center. I liked the library - though I'm out on his other designs.

0 comments: