8.21.2006

A happy story


Image from one of my favorite fun sites, Flip Flop Flyin'

The other morning, we took Cybill out for a walk and ran some errands. On the way home, Cybill, distracted by the barking from another little dog, stepped on my sandal and the strap broke.

So there I was, blocks away from home, with a broken sandal. The man walking the little dog started telling us a story about how the same thing happened to him at the airport and how disgusting it was to have to walk around on his barefeet. As he took out his keys - it turned out that my sandal broke in front of his house - it dawned on him that maybe I wouldn't like to walk around in my barefeet either. Especially on New York City streets. I couldn't have agreed more.

He offered me a pair of flipflops so I could get home. I gratefully accepted. We went home and I quickly put two doggy biscuits into an envelope with a thank you card. We went back to his house and I popped the flipflops through the mail slot with the card. A karmaloop completed.

I suppose if this happened in the parking lot of some shopping center in the suburbs, I would have had to drive home with my barefeet...which isn't so bad either. But I love that living here means that an unfortunate accident led to a happy chance meeting with a neighbor.

0 comments: