7.21.2010

New news


"the insistence of distance" by Richard T. Walker via vvork

When I told a friend that I recently joined the Carnegie Endowment, his response was, so you're leaving planning? That's an emphatic NO. (Someone else asked me how I could choose between bike lanes and world peace.)

At face value, I get what he's suggesting. No more sketching out re-designs for street intersections, fewer opportunities to examine maps, plans, surveys, reviewing EIS, and facilitating workshops.

But at another level, I think planning is about chipping away at things and arriving at land use and transportation policies - all part of the larger built environment policy family - that promote better strategies for the way we want to live and for how we can secure a positive future. The issues that concern us as planners are very connected and operate at many scales, including national and global. Does this really need to be said again? More on my project soon, with a project site to be launched this fall. In the meantime, I'll still be posting about public space (big and small) items here, and will also be continuing to work on Planning Corps which you should totally check out in person if you haven't already.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

my mom-in-law uses a phrase I love, "planful."

Based on our recent conversations here in meat space, I'd say you're shifting into a very planful mode indeed.

I am happy to be a small part of it, and feel gifted by the great kismet of the Internet...a few clicks, and now I sorta know you!

(love this blog, too.)

So, if people be the stuff of life, plan on!