2.07.2008

Age-friendly neighborhoods


montague street
Originally uploaded by James Andrachuk
When I moved to Brooklyn Heights, I didn't expect to stay long in this particular spot. It's a small studio, and currently needs to provide for a couple with an energetic dog. But as I have gotten to know the neighborhood, I realized that it would be a dream spot in which to grow old. It's in an elevator building across the street from the library, two blocks from the closest subway station, one block from two bus lines, two blocks from a drugstore, two blocks from a grocery store, and two blocks from a dry-cleaner, among other amenities. The Green market is open three blocks away every Saturday and it is one block from a park. There isn't ample seating in the neighborhood, but there are wide sidewalks that are well-maintained. (Through another lens, this place would be great for kids too. But I digress...)

I realized just how fabulously lucky I was - sure, I benefit from all of these amenities now, but I was more struck by how much I would benefit if I lost my mobility, had a significantly reduced income, and am perhaps far away from family. Anyway, all of this to say, I was pleased to find this new initiative from the City Council and the New York Academy of Medicine called Age-Friendly New York City. We easily take for granted our ability to cross the street for example, and don't often stop to think that others might experience difficulty.

0 comments: