11.07.2006

New York's Alternative Transportation


A photo of the NYC Critical Mass from Indymedia, Germany

A fun New Yorker article profiling the many different, eclectic advocates for alternative modes of transportation in New York City.

I happened to be walking down Broadway one night this summer when Critical Mass took off from Union Square. Many of the riders were in costumes or sporting signs, and generally having a grand time, making me wish I had some kind of noisemaker to join in the raucus. Cheering from the sidewalk seemed lame, though I did it. But the many, many police scooters and cars - it almost seemed there was one or two officers for each bike - which were corralling the cyclists made the event eery. I had a flash of how awesome it would be if the officers biked alongside Critical Mass if they wanted to shepherd the bikers. It would be such a different message.

0 comments: