8.15.2006

Building recycle/re-use



There's a lot of demolition and construction around my neighborhood - in fact, in nearly every New York City neighborhood that I might spend some time in these days. There are huge dumpsters in front of these sites, to haul away unwanted materials.

But there are alternatives to the mega-waste. Two businesses, Build It Green and Green Worker Cooperatives, run re-use centers that act as a depository and a source for materials in New York City. (via City Limits).

I think that when most people think salvage, they think trendy antique-looking sinks and fixtures (as covered by design sources). But some of the most common pieces are in the most demand and could be re-used - doors, standard cabinets, etc. Furthermore, I see theaters and set builders a partner in this since there's a dumpster in front of the Bleecker Street theaters much of the time. But I also feel that something like that already exists for the theater community. Yes?

0 comments: