6.23.2006

Graphing social capital


Relative Measure of Social Capital by US States

I received Bowling Alone, Robert Putnam's introduction and analysis on the importance of social capital, for Christmas, but couldn't slog through it as much as I wanted to. I'm a wimp. The Oil Drum sums it up pretty nicely, with graphs and all. I know I'm not the only one that didn't finish the book, so thank you for doing that. (via Urban Cartography)

Update: Nikka from CitySkip spotted this Times article, June 25 by Robert Putnam, about a new study about increased social isolation in the United States. Thanks!


Fabulous Ruins of Detroit, from CitySkips' Detroit set

4 comments:

Shin-pei said...

I hope the discussion continues. I have gotten questions about how to measure the return of creating great places, a requisite of good social networks. The question came from a public transit director; people are trying to figure this out in a tangible way beyond a corporate analysis (i.e., bottomline, efficiency analysis).

Nichole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nichole said...

Putnam wrote a piece about his book and a more recent study by a team of sociologists in the most recent issue of Time magazine.

Nichole said...

hmmm.. the link doesn't seem to be publishing right..
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1207822,00.html