5.12.2006

Computers have corrupted architecture?


The Harper Mackay-designed Shepherd's Bush Building that I toured as an intern

Nah....then again: While in London, in graduate school, I interned at Harper Mackay, an architecture firm (the guys I know are now FourthSpace) and ran some extracurricular seminars on what I thought then were heady topical issues like this column in the Financial Times, how technology has impacted the craft of architecture. The firm used a lot of computer rendering to sell its designs. Everyone in the small firm attended and afterwards, my wonderful boss Karen bought everyone pints in return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Interesting. Why do you think that?
In which way you do you think computers have corrupted architecture?

Best,

Shin-pei said...

I don't think that it's corrupted architecture necessarily, but it certainly has changed the way students might learn about space. The author in the Financial Times article is more damning.

The article reminded me of the seminar I hosted, where the architects seemed unaware of the shift in the craft. I guess I had a provincial sense of architecture, with actual drawing, but more and more I meet architects who say they can't draw. That hand-brain connection is what the author laments.