4.12.2006

Public Place



Someone here found this public input site for the Gowanus Canal. Public Place is run by NYU Wagner students who are focusing on the site as part of a Capstone project (I'm not sure what that means). I like the simplicity of the site - no posturing yet, and this makes it easier to give your opinion.

I always romaticize the Gowanus Canal. I've walked over the canal on warm summer evenings, and felt, just a little bit, like I'm in Amsterdam/Williamsburg. In reality, the place could use some help, though I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much community already exists through the long-time presence of the Brookyn Art Exchange (formerly the Gowanus Art Exchange) and other places. Also, one of my favorite painters, Dana Schutz supposedly has a studio there.

0 comments: