4.21.2006

American Roadside


image source

People often assume that I'm anti-cars. I'm definitely not, I just wish we were more thoughtful about how we treated everyone using the street - walking, biking and in cars - and that there was less unnecessary driving. I always hated that I lived within walking distance to our grocery store growing up but always had to get in the car to get there because it was too "dangerous" to walk (no sidewalks, no shoulder and speeding cars).

Here's a site that reminds us of the heritage in thoughtfulness in road travel - The American Roadside. I'm not trying to be nostalgic about it - I'd just like to remind us that it wasn't so hard to do and maybe what we've achieved with roads is no longer giving us the experience that we once liked about driving.

0 comments: