3.09.2006

Hester Street Collaborative, Bad Design Darts, etc.


A much older Hester Street, not sure which year. I'm finding some cool postcards through Google image searchs.

I went up to the Municipal Art Society today to have lunch with the lovely exhibition coordinator, Elizabeth Werbe. She's doing such a great job - there's been some really interesting exhibits over the last several months and more upcoming where the subject matter connect nicely with New York current events.

After I took my time with the Living Streets Exhibit, I went over to the other gallery, where there is a great exhibit on the Hester Street Collaborative and some of their most current projects. I loved it. You can get a sense of the enthusiasm from the kids too, on their very own blog, where some students chronicle personal progress on projects. To be honest, their exhibit made the Living Streets look somewhat wane. The Bad Design Darts exhibit pulls you into the projects quickly, and I loved the hands-on ways they got kids to understand, care and make place. The exhibit itself is more hands-on and 3-D. It was a fun break from looking at the walls from the Streets exhibit.

Anyhow, if you're up in Midtown, you should check out both exhibits, they're free, and see for yourself. Then go across Madison on 51st and get a snack at Prime Burger. The spin out tables (very mod, very not-renovated-since 1965, thankfully) and Atom-Age light fixtures alone are worth the trip. And where else in Midtown can you get a burger for less than $5?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I am one of the interns for Hester Street and we worked really hard to put up that exhibition! I must say your blog really excited me, it's nice to know that there are people like you out there who really provide support and feedback! Thanks!

Shin-pei said...

Thanks for reading! I'm excited to see what your group does next!