3.08.2006

Finally a "big" downtown market hall


From Lower Manhattan Redevelopment. Here are more beautiful images of the structure from a fantastic street photoblog, rion.nu.

What's always stopped me from looking for an apartment in those beautiful, small-scale historic buildings right near South Seaport was the obvious lack of a good grocery store.

So official news of a possible market in the Landmark Ferry Building was much welcome, even if it just helps me augment my real estate fantasy. I had *known* that something was brewing down there, but I'm glad it came out in the open.

But this quote stopped me short:

"What New York is really missing is a great market hall in a historic building," said Kate Ascher, the executive vice president of the New York City Economic Development Corporation.
Hm...what about the Market Hall in Grand Central Station to start? It's not huge, but if that's what she has in mind, bring it on!

0 comments: