7.31.2005

On our waterfront: from Sunday Times 'City'



I've become a huge fan of the City section of the NYTimes. First, I was a Style junkie (before living in NYC), then of the Real Estate section last year, but there's only so much pining I can do, so now I reach for the City section first. I love the clips from neighborhoods. There's always a genuine human angle to the stories, less "news at 10," more personable.

Today's City section highlights a couple of waterfronts: LIC and Tribeca. I especially liked what Tom Fox, the president of New York Water Taxi and founder of the Neighborhood Open Space Coalition, said of his effort to bring some activity to LIC's waterfront. Of the beach he set up, Fox said, "This is the kind of stuff that brings people to the waterfront...And once they're on the waterfront, they get invested and it becomes their waterfront."

0 comments: