1.06.2005

west village good places



The West Village is one of the most lauded neighborhoods in Manhattan, and despite having worked there for more than a year now, I still find myself surprised from time to time with a new (for me) nice cafe or coffeeshop that fits the third place bill nicely.

Today it was Doma (Perry & 7th Ave), where I ran into (and didn't acknowledge) an acquaintance's ex-boyfriend, and where two writers introduced themselves, one having recognized the other by the back flap photo of his book (which I had never heard of, "White Christmas.") Doma struck me as a place that was once hot but that has eased into sincere comfort with its cooling down.

I started thinking, since our office is up for a big move to Broadway and W. 4th, that it would be nice to keep a running list of favorite, nice places to stop into in the West Village. These are the types of places that you'll run into someone you know or have spotted around the neighborhood before.

Jack's Stir Brew - On W 10th St @ Greenwich
Joe - on Waverly Place @ Gay St
Six Twelve - on 6th @ W 12th
Grey Dog's Coffee - 33 Carmine @ Bleeker
Bar Six - on 6th Ave @ W 13th

0 comments: